Skip to main content

How calculate social security wages?

Newark, NJ |

I m trying to figure it out how to calculate my job income wages contribution to social security wages. My wages on 2002 was 3084 and my social security declaration letter indicates that contributed based on my earning 2002 was 1245. i calculated the earning by 10.4 % as it says on the letter but I apply the percetage it doesnt match with The amount as it shows on my ss declaration letter.please advice what im doing wrong?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not really sure what you're asking. You could go to the SSA.GOV website, they have various calculators and charts available, but it would be a lot easier to just check your W2.

Also - very helpful tip - the SSA.GOV website now has a feature where you can get your earnings statement online in a matter of minutes (this is the form that they used to mail out every year at a cost of $4 billion to the taxpayers, who usually just read then and said "oh" and threw them away). You get it immediately via PDF.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.


This is not really a legal issue For a question like this, you may be best served by visiting your local Social Security office. You may need to wait in line, but your chances of getting an accurate answer are better there than here.

Best wishes for an outcome you can understand, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


This is not a question really capable being answered here. SSA uses a computer to calculate the very complex formulas they use to figure out retirement amounts, etc, and those are not readily available here or on the SSA website. Go to your local office and see if they can help answer your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer