How bad is a general discharge under honorable conditions from the army?

Beltsville, MD |

A chapter 13 for failing to show up to drills. How serious is it really... Will it really affect future jobs?

Depends on the future jobs you seek.

The buzz words are that "Characterization of service as General (under honorable conditions) is warranted when significant negative aspects of the member's conduct or performance of duty outweigh positive aspects of the member's military conduct or performance of duty outweigh positive aspects of the record".

It will jeopardize your VA beneifits (i.e. no GI bill) and you will not be allowed to reenlist or enter a different military service. It is not nearly so bad as an OTH or a BCD and I suspect many of the hiring officials at company's or organizations who would stiff arm you if you had a OTH or BCD, will give the other aspects of your resume a chance if you have a GUHC).

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM providing you educational information NOT legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Military law topics