How are retirement accounts typically divided in Equitable Distributions (divorce)?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

On average I made more $$ though the marriage but a few years was opposite. My accounts have about 15% more. What is the usual manner in dividing and how is that usually done.

1. Randi Joy Silverman

Answered . There is no such thing as a "usual manner". The manner in which pensions are distributed is based on a number of factors and each case is different. Your attorney will be able to explain your options once he/she has analyzed the entire marital estate and the other factors that must be considered.

2. Kathryn L. Hilbush

Pro

Answered . The first answer is accurate but I believe you may also have wanted to know how, in fact, retirement accounts are divided once the decision as to who gets what share is made. Generally, retirement accounts, such as 401(k)'s, are distributed through a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). The good thing about QDRO's is that, once approved by the court, they allow the transfer of funds in these accounts to other approved accounts, usually an IRA, without any tax consequences. Again, hire an attorney because it's better to get it right the first time. Good luck!