How are multiple injuries to different parts of the body calculated using the disability rating guide?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Taylorsville, NC

Are they added up as one whole body rating for a set number of weeks or are they figured up seperately?

1. Jesse Sayre Shapiro

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Seperately. NCGS 97-31 is the ratings guide and it sets a value for each body part. For example, 100% disability to the arm is worth 240 weeks of benefits at your weekly compensation rate. The leg is 200 weeks; the back is 300. In addition, there is a max payment of 20k for permanent damage to "other important organs". All that being said, your case may indeed go well beyond a ratings issue and you need to consult with an attorney.

2. April D. Seguin

2

1

Answered . There is no "whole body" rating in NC. The ratings would be calculated separately. However, as others have indicated, you should speak with an attorney who can discuss what ratings mean in context of your claim.

3. Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . Here in NC, you may have a more munificent way of finishing your case (instead of the ratings), depending on your work status. You really need to consult with a workers' comp certified specialist lawyer. If you are unable to work but you are concerned about ratings, then that tells me that you need to educate yourself before you make a very expensive mistake.

4. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

2

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Shapiro. I would only add that before you can be rated the injury has to be at maximum medical improvement (MMI). In other words everything has been done and despite the therapy, medications, and surgery, you still have suffered a permanent loss of a body part.

5. George Ellis Corson IV

1

Answered . There is no way anyone can help you without comparing/contrasting what are distinct injuries, and what are degeneration over time from parts falling off and failing.