How are multiple different injuries (6) calculated in a nc workers comp. settlement ? Are they seperate or added up as 1 rating

Asked over 1 year ago - Taylorsville, NC

I had 5 surgeries on foot / 1 shoulder surgery / brain injury / neck injury / bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome with pending surgery on both. I also have RSD/CRPS in my foot and vision loss in left eye and myoclonic jerks/seizures from Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (brain injury).I also have depression/PTSD/perephial neuropathy. Is there any kind of ballpark figure on a potential settlement? Accident in feb.2007 w/ weekly checks $ 400.00 and been out of work since july 2011 on temporary total disability, if i am not able to go back to same job and i take the ratings ,how would all these injuries be added up, as one or seperate ratings ?Or what it would be if i went back making the same pay or less. I have not needed a lawyer,yet-also i applied for SSD benefits last wk.

How are unscheduled injuries on my claim calculated versus scheduled injuries ,since i have both?

1. Jesse Sayre Shapiro

Pro

7

1

Answered . Way, way, way too complicated a question to answer here. You need to meet with an attorney face to face and go over your claim. Your case goes far beyond ratings as your future medical care needs to be very seriously considered along with your wage loss and a host of other issues.

I am happy to listen to any questions you have.

2. Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . You have an "election of benefits" to make at some point. Usually, the rating money is the smallest benefit you can choose, which is why the insurance company will offer it. But you were hurt before the 2011 legislative reforms, so you potentially have lifetime total disability benefits if you are unable to return to work. I have posted a "legal guide" about the PPD Ratings so you may want to look at that for more information. You really need to sit down with a Board Certified Specialist in Workers' Compensation law and get a free consultation so that you will know your rights and obligations.

3. April D. Seguin

3

1

Answered . I also agree with Jesse. You really need to sit down and speak with an attorney who is a Board Certified Specialist in Workers' Compensation. With so many injuries, any return to work will be very complicated and could take a long time. You also need to discuss the interaction of SSD (if you begin receiving those benefits) and your workers' compensation.

Most workers' comp. attorneys offer a free initial consultation and do not charge any up-front or hourly fees.

4. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Shapiro. I would only add that before you can be rated the injury has to be at maximum medical improvement (MMI). In other words everything has been done and despite the therapy, medications, and surgery, you still have suffered a permanent loss of a body part.

5. George Ellis Corson IV

1

Answered . There is no way anyone can help you without comparing/contrasting what are distinct injuries, and what are degeneration over time from parts falling off and failing.