How are child support arrears & interest calculated in the state of Virginia?

Asked 12 months ago - Woodbridge, VA

If for example I was receiving $450 in child support for a year and a half beginning in 2011 and I filed for a modification in September of 2012 and a modification was done so I would receive $750 in January of 2013, how would the arrears and interest be calculated backdating to September 2012 from the time the modification was filed? This is arrears and interest for a 4 month period from Sept 2012 to December 2012 What is the interest rate or percentage used? What is the formula used to calculate? Please help. I would like to know how the figures are calculated please. Thank you so much for your help.

1. William Jackson Hancock

Answered . There is no set formula for determining payments towards an arrearage. It's largely within the discretion of the judge. Typically, a judge will order that a certain amount be added to the principal every month until the arrearages are satisfied. Best of luck.