How are child support arrears & interest calculated in the state of Virginia?

Woodbridge, VA |

If for example I was receiving $450 in child support for a year and a half beginning in 2011 and I filed for a modification in September of 2012 and a modification was done so I would receive $750 in January of 2013, how would the arrears and interest be calculated backdating to September 2012 from the time the modification was filed? This is arrears and interest for a 4 month period from Sept 2012 to December 2012 What is the interest rate or percentage used? What is the formula used to calculate? Please help. I would like to know how the figures are calculated please. Thank you so much for your help.

There is no set formula for determining payments towards an arrearage. It's largely within the discretion of the judge. Typically, a judge will order that a certain amount be added to the principal every month until the arrearages are satisfied. Best of luck.

Reliance on any information in this website is at the sole risk of the user and the user understands that he or she should consult with an attorney before taking a course of action based upon information contained in this website. The information on this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship

Thank you so much for your help