How are assets considered for the affidavit of support (I-864)?

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

In the guide here (http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf), it says that assets can be considered if income isn't sufficient. The poverty level is around $16000/year, how much do my assets need to exceed that to be considered enough?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

11

Answered . You take the amount of support required and subtract from it the amount of income you have. The documented market value of the assets must be five times greater than that difference.

2. J Charles Ferrari

5

Answered . See form I-864P and multiply by 5

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

4. Jenna Kristin Gilbert

3

Answered . In general, the assets must be greater than five times the amount required by the poverty guidelines. However, if you are a US citizen sponsoring your spouse or minor child, assets only need be 3 times the amount required by the poverty guidelines.