How are "counts" determined in a child pornography case?

New York, NY |

Someone I know is being charged with child pornography and I want to better understand how the charges filed against them will work. As far as I know, the charges may include posssession and distribution but want to better understand how the number of counts brought against them is determined.

1. Counts can be based on the amount of alleged victims and/or the different instances of the alleged illegal activity.

2. There can be a separate count for each picture. It is up to the prosecutor how to charge.

3. The commission of each offense will result in a seperate count (this can include each and every individual image).

4. Number of counts comes from #/type of images.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.