Skip to main content

How and when to apply for L2 I-94 date extension ?

Williston Park, NY |
Filed under: L-2 dependent visa

Hi.. Me & my son are L2 visa holder & our visa & I-94 expiers on June-2013, but my husband (LI visa holder ) have I-94 till Feb- 2014 but his Visa also expires on June-2013 & he will be staying here on his I-94 date. My question is
1. Can I apply for my & my son's I-94 extension depending on his I-94 date
2. If yes how early I can apply?
3. Does my husband has to apply for his Visa extension in order to get our I-94 extension?
4. some where I saw that my husband has to apply for L1 visa petion to extend our I-94 date , what is that ?
I am really cofused pls help

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    The I-94 controls the status in the US.
    1. Yes;
    2. 6 months before status expires;
    3. No;
    4. Nothing like that.

    Asheesh K. Sharma Attorney at Law Sharma Law Offices, LLC 47 Perimeter Center East, Suite 260 Atlanta, GA 30346 404-348-2829 This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship

  2. First, if yo u are in the US , your I-94 controls as does your spouse's I-94
    1, yes
    2. generally 6 months
    3. no
    4. no, but you will need to s how he is still in status and you are still married

    Hiring a lawyer will surely help you

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. 1. Yes
    2. Up to six months prior to the expiration of the I-94
    3. He must be maintaining valid L-1 status
    4. See 3.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics