Skip to main content

How and can I fire an attorney?

Buford, GA |

A guy rear-ended me in August 2013. He hit me so hard that my car was totaled. I feel like I abstained most of my injuries from the seat belt e.g left shoulder and right hip. I hired an attorney which ended up passing my case to another attorney because, he was going to be out of town. Well I signed the contract with the second attorney.
My issue is, I am not happy with him. After sending me to a Chiropractor and a PT - I'm still having problems with my shoulder and hip, so I requested I see an Orthopedist. He told me if I wanted to see one I need to pay it or find one that works on a lien basis. I found a doctor that will work on a lien basics, so now I'm getting the run around with that. I am not happy with him. so how can I get rid of him and hire another another one?

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Write a letter or send an email terminating the engagement and requesting a copy of your file. Then find another attorney.

    The information above is for informational purposes only and it not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice. Your receipt of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship and you should not act on this information without consulting an attorney.

  2. You may terminate your lawyer at any time; however, it has only been 3 months since your accident. I would recommend you making a face to face appointment with your current lawyer to work out your situation as it should be easily manageable.

  3. If you are not happy with him, you can fire him and hire another attorney. It's similar to changing your doctor or any other service provider. Make sure your new attorney understands all your concerns before you hire him/her.

  4. In most states, a client can terminate a retainer at any time, even if there is "no cause" for doing so. Consult with another lawyer to take over the case, who will help you put in place the steps for effectuating the change of attorneys and getting your file transferred to that new attorney. You do not pay the "old attorney" any monies up front - and he/she will likely come to an agreement with the new attorney regarding the splitting of any fees.

  5. Review your contract with that attorney. If it does not provide you with an answer, then write the attorney a letter informing the attorney that their services are no longer needed.


  6. Well, any attorney worth his or her salt is going to want an opportunity to "fix" whatever it is that's troubling you about their representation. I guess the question is, are you interested in fixing your relationship with your current attorney or do you think the relationship is beyond repair? That should guide your decision on how to go about severing the relationship.

  7. You may end your collaboration with a lawyer at any time. Its applicable in most states.

  8. Most contracts with attorneys can be terminated but depending on the amount of work that has been done on your case there is a chance that he could file a lien against any settlement you may receive with your new lawyer in order to compensate them for the work that has already been done.

    You might want to consider having a meeting with him and expressing your dissatisfaction and seeing if the issues could be resolved.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics