Skip to main content

How a recent F2 visa holder can get green card through marriage to a U.S citizen one week after final divorce from F1 visa wife?

Dallas, TX |

I'm on F-2 visa, but currently involved in an uncontested divorce due to incompatibility from my wife who is on F-1 visa.The final divorce decree will be issued next week.I'm planning to marry my girlfriend who is a U.S citizen as soon as the final divorce decree is issued.She wants to petition for my green card.How complex will this process be?What is the average amount of money it will cost us to retain an experienced attorney for the process?We are living in Dallas Texas.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The complexity of the case will depend on whether there are any issues that would raise concerns with immigration officials about the bona fides of your new marriage, and whether there are any issues in your past that could impact your admissibility as permanent resident.

Costs for representation vary. Call around, but focus on the firm's reputation rather than the cost.


If this is a good faith marriage and have sufficient supporting documents to prove it, you should be able to adjust your status.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer