How a jury is selected?

Van Nuys, CA |

Does the attorney get to choose or both the DA and the PF or PA get to choose the jury? How do lawyers know who to choose for a jury trial? How do they know who to reject?

Both the prosecutor and defense lawyer asks questions of the jury (voir dire) to determine if there are any biases. Jurors can be removed for cause, if their bias or prejudice is clear. A lawyer has to make a motion for removal of such a juror and state the reasons why that juror should be removed. Judge's do not like to remove jurors for cause and therefore the lawyer's motion has to be pretty strong and well grounded in order to prevail. Each lawyer also has a set number of "peremptory challenges" which allows them to ask the a juror be excused without having to state a reason. The number of challenges depends on your jurisdiction and the type of charge. When the lawyers have exhausted all their given challenges and there are no more challenges for cause, the remaining jurors become the jury that will hear the case. There have been volumes written on how to evaluate jurors and use peremptory challenges wisely, so your question is not easily answered. The truth is, no one "selects" a jury - we can't go out and hand pick our jurors from a pool of prospects - we all just run out of challenges and are left with whoever remains.

Your question does not have a short answer but just very briefly a jury is chosen by both the DA and the defense attorney and its by questioning the jurors. It takes days to pick a jury.

Selection of any given jury is an art form as it encompasses and requires a splendid legal knowledge of voir dire, applied psychology, socialogy, investigatory skill and requires prior relevant legal experience of that given field.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

A jury is selected through a process called "voir dire" (pronounced vwah dear). The attorneys, prosecutor and defense, ask the panel of potential jurors various questions. Based on those responses and other information available to the attorneys, the attorneys then strike jurors they don't want seated. Those that remain, provided there are enough remaining to satisfy the statutory requirements, are your jury. If there are not enough remaining jury members to satisfy the statute, the process starts over with a new panel.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Homework?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Whole books have been written on the questions you pose. Go to Wikipedia and look up voir dire. Good luck

For a Free Consultation: 408.313.5607

As you can see, there is no easy answer. It's done through voir dire, gut feelings and experience. Some attorneys in high profile cases will use jury consultants. Go to the courthouse and watch jury selection.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.