How/ where can I find a low cost or pro-bono bankruptcy attorney in Long beach, California?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

I want to file bankruptcy, but I can't afford the attorney fees, due to being off work for months at a time for a chronic illness. I already have a garnishment, and three other creditors are close behind. I'm also looking in surrounding areas.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Rex Tran

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You have a number of options. Below are a few:
    1) You can contact the Federal Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California, and ask whether they provide bankruptcy workshops. I am positive that the Riverside courthouse provides workshops every week. These are actual attorneys that will get you pointed in the right direction.
    2) You can search for legal aid on the internet. Some good keywords to help your search would be "legal aid long beach" or "pro bono bankruptcy attorney long beach."
    3) The Bankruptcy Court and their website also provides great information to people who want to file a bankruptcy on your own. However, it is not recommended to file on your own.
    4) There are many attorneys that might provide you with the assistance you need for a low cost. I would strongly suggest (if you haven't already done so) that you contact many attorneys to see if they will work with you on their fees. Having an attorney to help you through your case is always going to be the best option.

  2. Michael Avanesian


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have assets that need protection, you absolutely need to talk to an attorney and save up money for them.

    If you don't, then you can try public counsel, they have programs that teach you how to file etc, all for free. Lawyers get lawyers to represent themselves, I don't understand why regular people don't!

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,451 answers this week

2,836 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,451 answers this week

2,836 attorneys answering