How do I find out what someone was sentenced?

I know someone that was sentenced but I don't know his family well or who his lawyer was. Is their a site or number I can call too find out how many years he got? He was sentenced in Fresno

Fresno, CA -

Michael Anthony Hernandez

Michael Anthony Hernandez

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

You can also go to the Fresno Superior Court and ask to see the court file. Take a look at the judgment and sentencing minutes.

Joshua Sabert Lowther

Joshua Sabert Lowther

Federal Crime Lawyer - Savannah, GA

If the case was prosecuted in federal court, you can subscribe to the Government's PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) system, or you can go to the courthouse and ask for the information.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
866.380.1782

Raymond George Wigell

Raymond George Wigell

Violent Crime Lawyer - Olympia Fields, IL

The PACER system for the federal district in question will allow you access to the court records. One or more of the minute entries will contain sentencing information. If you just want to read it go to PACER. If you want to understand it and it's ramifications then go to an experienced federal criminal defense attorney.

Michael Kevin Cernyar

Michael Kevin Cernyar

Criminal Defense Attorney - Long Beach, CA

There's PACER, but that is typically a paid website. Google his name along with the term DOJ. Many times the AUSA or the arresting agency, i.e. FBI, DEA, Secret Service, will create a press release and post it online. The press releases are quite common. Good luck.

Joshua Sachs

Joshua Sachs

Criminal Defense Attorney - Evanston, IL

I agree with all of my colleagues that for a federal case PACER is the best method because it will give you access to the actual court records and orders. An alternative is to look up the prisoner on the federal online inmate locator. That will not give you the sentence, but it will give you the prisoner's anticipated discharge date, which may be adequate for your purposes.

Amy Katherine Guerra

Amy Katherine Guerra

Criminal Defense Attorney - Fresno, CA

In Fresno, the records are available publicly on V2, a computer system available on the 4th floor of the main courthouse. You can look someone up by name and it will show you their dockets, minute orders, charges, etc.

James Regan

James Regan

Violent Crime Lawyer - Fort Pierce, FL

USDC - EDCA - Fresno
Office of the Clerk
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday
Ph: (559) 499-5600

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.

Related Advice