Skip to main content

How do I find out what someone was sentenced?

Fresno, CA |

I know someone that was sentenced but I don't know his family well or who his lawyer was. Is their a site or number I can call too find out how many years he got? He was sentenced in Fresno

Why are all of you assuming this is a federal case? It was most likely handled in fresno superior court...

Attorney Answers 7

  1. If the case was prosecuted in federal court, you can subscribe to the Government's PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) system, or you can go to the courthouse and ask for the information.

    Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.

  2. The PACER system for the federal district in question will allow you access to the court records. One or more of the minute entries will contain sentencing information. If you just want to read it go to PACER. If you want to understand it and it's ramifications then go to an experienced federal criminal defense attorney.

    Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: 24/7 call (708) 481-4800 text (708)218-0923

  3. There's PACER, but that is typically a paid website. Google his name along with the term DOJ. Many times the AUSA or the arresting agency, i.e. FBI, DEA, Secret Service, will create a press release and post it online. The press releases are quite common. Good luck.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  4. USDC - EDCA - Fresno
    Office of the Clerk
    Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday
    Ph: (559) 499-5600

    Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

  5. I agree with all of my colleagues that for a federal case PACER is the best method because it will give you access to the actual court records and orders. An alternative is to look up the prisoner on the federal online inmate locator. That will not give you the sentence, but it will give you the prisoner's anticipated discharge date, which may be adequate for your purposes.

  6. You can also go to the Fresno Superior Court and ask to see the court file. Take a look at the judgment and sentencing minutes.

  7. In Fresno, the records are available publicly on V2, a computer system available on the 4th floor of the main courthouse. You can look someone up by name and it will show you their dockets, minute orders, charges, etc.

    Please don't forget to choose the "best" or most "helpful" answer. This response does not create an attorney client relationship. The information provided here should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice received by an attorney that you have retained for your specific case. If you are actually involved in a case pending in court and you have an attorney, you should speak to your attorney and follow his/her advice. The information provided here is for general purposes only.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics