Skip to main content

House flooded from water main in front of home. City controls the water mains. Is the City liable?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Drainage law

My house was damaged from a broken water main. The City says they will not pay me because they are immune. The city runs and manages the water here. So it is controlled by them. I was reading the statute on Governmental Immunity and it says "(745 ILCS 10/2-101) Sec. 2-101. .... Nothing in this Act affects the liability, if any, of a local public entity or public employee, based on:
a contract;
b operation as a common carrier; and this Act does not apply to any entity organized under or subject to the "Metropolitan Transit Authority Act", approved April 12, 1945, as amended;"

In my opinion, the city is a common carrier of water. But i do not know the law 100%. Can someone tell me if i can sue the city because htey are a common carrier, even though they say they are immune?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


They're immune. Of course you can sue them, but your chances are somewhere between terrible and horrific.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer