House fire lost everything! House is in a family Trust and agreement was monthly rent would cover insurance and property tax.

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendora, CA

When we asked about the insurance I was told he didn't pay the insurance. We lost everything and now I don't know what to do. I really do not want to cause more trouble with the family but my wife is upset. Do I have any options or is it a simple he said she said deal here? There is nothing in a contract it was all verbal. Not to mention the whole house was remodeled except for the garage. That was the last project to do. (This is where the fire started) I am ready to cut our losses and move on but my wife is not! She does have a point about losing all of our stuff hence why I am here asking?

Thanks-

1. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

2

Answered . A lot more detail is required to consider your situation. You should gather as much documentation to have, include the underlying lease, etc., and consult with a local landlord tenant or real estate attorney.

2. Scott Richard Kaufman

1

Answered . Hard to imagine unless house was fully owned not having insurance on it, usually a lender will insist. Sounds like something is amiss here...

3. Marcus William Morales

1

Answered . Sounds fishy. Houses titled in trusts name usually still have insurance. If you do not have renters insurance you may want to sue the trust for your loss. Once a lawsuit is served on the trustee then I bet the insurance will magically appear. All this assumes the fire was not caused by you. Good luck with your case.

Marcus W. Morales, Esq
    www.marcusmoraleslaw.com
    Law Offices of Marcus William Morales
    115 W. Mission St.
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    (805) 845-5405

4. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Gold - much more information is needed to determine if you have a cause of action. You should gather your documents and consult with a local litigation attorney with experience in real estate matters.