Hotel Canceled my reservation that was made several month ago

Asked about 1 year ago - Schenectady, NY

I've reserved a hotel several months ago for a June 2014 College graduation. The hotel just called me and told me that my reservation is canceled because the hotel will go through renovations that month. No other rooms in similar price/distance are now available. Do I have a case? can I sue them? What should I do? What are my rights?

1. Steven Warren Smollens

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Dear Schenectady Parent:

The first time I discovered that I needed to book a reservation a year in advance, I was shocked. And since your reservation is for a graduation event, you must realize that you are not the only individual harmed by a cancellation when no other rooms may be available. Perhaps the college has information for you and others harmed by this event.

The rights of a hotel guest are mostly dependent on the contract made with the hotel. There are some forms of secure booking and some hotels pledge to accommodate a guest when an unforeseen event causes loss of a reserved room.

Did your contract contain language similar to this?

">>>For reservations guaranteed with a credit card at the time of making your reservation, rooms are held until the Property check-out time the day following the day of arrival on the reservation. The Property may authorize the room rate for the first night, including taxes on the credit card to determine the validity of the credit card. Rooms booked with an invalid credit card are subject to immediate cancellation.

For reservations not guaranteed with a form of payment at the time of making your reservation, rooms are held until the set cancellation time per the rules of the reservation. In the event a guest cannot be accommodated due to the Property overbooking or an unforeseen circumstance, and the Property is unable to hold rooms consistent with this room hold policy, the Property will attempt to accommodate guests, at its expense, at a comparable property in the area for the night(s) for which the Property is unable to accommodate such guests, and will pay for transportation to that property.>>>"

If so, the hotel must honor the contract. Suing will not get you a room in that hotel if it is closed. And a lawsuit will not complete the legal course in time. If you have a contract similar to the one I showed you, you may be able to seek "specific performance" in a lawsuit, but even then, you may spend a small fortune and still not gain a new room.,

So you will have to figure out on your own where you may stay over for the graduation.

Good Luck.

2. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

3

1

Answered . It is unlikely that you have any cause of action against the hotel unless you made a deposit and it is not being returned.

The above constitutes general information only and should not be considered legal advice.
  3. Robert Edward Sokolski

2

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Bianchi and would that in my opinion, the hotel did provide reasonable and adequate notice of cancellation of the reservation and that there appears to be a valid reason for cancellation.