Hospital sold social security number to debt collector

Asked 10 months ago - Balsam Lake, WI

I recently got a call from a debt collector and they knew my social security number, I have never told them what it was so the hospital sold private information to this debt collector what are my rights on this subject. I feel my rights were violated under privacy laws and would like to know if I am right

1. David J. McCormick

1

Answered . If your SSN was part of the billing information that the hospital had then this information would be transmitted to the collection agency. The hospital did not “sell” your SSN, it is part of the file that is transmitted to the debt collector.

2. Jeffrey Marc Levine

2

Answered . I am aware of no law that would prohibit a hospital from providing a social security number to a collection agency when it is incident to trying to collect an unpaid debt.

3. Brett A. Borah

Answered . There's not much privacy if you don't pay your bill.