Hospital sold social security number to debt collector

Balsam Lake, WI |

I recently got a call from a debt collector and they knew my social security number, I have never told them what it was so the hospital sold private information to this debt collector what are my rights on this subject. I feel my rights were violated under privacy laws and would like to know if I am right

I am aware of no law that would prohibit a hospital from providing a social security number to a collection agency when it is incident to trying to collect an unpaid debt.

If your SSN was part of the billing information that the hospital had then this information would be transmitted to the collection agency. The hospital did not “sell” your SSN, it is part of the file that is transmitted to the debt collector.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

I did not submit my social security number for billing, they asked for it so they could look up medical history stuff when I went into the hospital. and I believe this is a violation of hipa law for submitting medical information that is suppose to be private for "bill collections" Doctors are not even suppose to talk to other doctors about a case let alone give medical information a name and a social security number to whomever looks at the file. Do you not understand where im coming from?

and the bill collector was being jumpy at best when I asked them why they had my social security number which says their probably not suppose to have it

There's not much privacy if you don't pay your bill.