Hospital sold social security number to debt collector

Balsam Lake, WI |

I recently got a call from a debt collector and they knew my social security number, I have never told them what it was so the hospital sold private information to this debt collector what are my rights on this subject. I feel my rights were violated under privacy laws and would like to know if I am right

1. I am aware of no law that would prohibit a hospital from providing a social security number to a collection agency when it is incident to trying to collect an unpaid debt.

2. If your SSN was part of the billing information that the hospital had then this information would be transmitted to the collection agency. The hospital did not “sell” your SSN, it is part of the file that is transmitted to the debt collector.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

3. There's not much privacy if you don't pay your bill.