Hood flew off of my car and a motorcycle rider was hurt

Asked almost 5 years ago - Delavan, WI

at 45mph, my hood was ripped off the car and a motorcycle rider and his wife were hurt beucase they downed their bike to avoid it. I just got the car so i didnt have insurance yet. I just got it registered the day of. The man, and woman have scraps and bumps but were taken away to a hospital to get checked out. what is most likely to happen. No tickets were issued. What would this be considered?

1. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . Did you have coverage for your previous vehicle, there is usually a grace period for newly purchased vehicles. How did anyone sell you a car in such bad condition. It sounds like the dealer may be at fault and may owe you as well as the bikers. SEE A LAWYER NOW!

2. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . Unfortunate. You never should have driven the car off the lot without having first secured automobile liability insurance on the vehicle.

The motorcyclists will probably allege that you improperly inspected and/or maintained your vehicle, resulting in the dislodgment of the hood and their subsequent injuries. You in all likelihood will be liable for their damages.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.