Homeowner will not pay general contractor for work completed. Any options other than a mechanics lein?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hopewell Junction, NY

Thank you for taking the time to read this. In 2010 I did some work on a Single family home in duthcess county NY. I believe after 3 months I can no longer put a lein on the property. What other options do I have?

The homeowner owes about 1,000. Is it worth hiring an attorney?

1. Patrick L. Evans

1

Answered . For a $1000.00, you would be better off going into small claims court. Spend some time pulling together whatever you have in writing about the transaction, contracts, bills, proof of what you spent on the job, payroll that you had to pay if you had employees, whatever... with that in hand, go to the local small claims court and ask them to help you move ahead with getting the homeowner into court.
    I wouldn't waste any more time. It's been a couple of years now, and there are statutes of limitation that say if you wait too long, the court won't enforce the debt.

2. Vincent Thomas Pallaci

Pro

Answered . You have 4 months to file a mechanic's lien against a single family dwelling in New York. Of course that doesn't sound like it is much help to you in this situation since you last provided work in 2010. Your best option is to proceed to small claims court. You can pursue this claim yourself without hiring an attorney.