Homeowner want to sell his house, tenants have one year lease what happens when new buyer wants to move in?

Portland, OR |

see above

1. Nothing changes with respect to the tenant's rights to live there. The new purchaser takes the property as is, so if the property is encumbered by a tenant's one year lease, the tenant gets to finish out their lease.

If the new owner wants to move in, he may try to make a deal with the tenant, e.g. "I'll give you a thousand bucks if you move out by the end of May."

Portland Defender
    1001 Southwest 5th Avenue #1100
    Portland, Or 97204
    (503) 592-0606

2. The homeowner may sell the house however, they are subject to any rights of a lease holder. However, they are not required to renew the lease in any capacity. Best of luck.

3. A common tactic here for tenants to consider is a 'cash-for-keys' agreement, as my colleague Mr. Pickard explained, wherein the tenants offer to move and hand over possession of the premises to the new owners for some type of cash payment. While there's not necessarily any standard by which to calculate what amount of funds might be reasonable and/or possible in such a situation, factors including the amount of rent, the length remaining on the term tenancy, and the cost of moving, all can and should be taken into account when negotiating such a deal.

If you found this answer helpful, please click the "Mark as good answer" button, below. If you'd like to contact me regarding potentially representing you with regards to your legal matter, please click on my profile and give my office a call. My answer to your Avvo question, however, is informational only and is not intended to be legal advice, nor does it form the basis for any attorney-client relationship whatsoever, which can only be formed upon signing an Engagement Agreement and depositing a Retainer Fee into client trust. Further, I am only licensed in Oregon and laws vary from state to state. If you have an Oregon-related issue, feel free to contact me for a consultation. If you are outside of Oregon, please consult an attorney in your area for legal advice.