Homeowner of dog bite victim won't release homeowners insurance information.

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I was bit by a dog. The homeowner of the dog is refusing to release who their insurer policy holder is. Is there a law in Nevada or Federal law that forces them to release it or is their policy information in a database somewhere? They cussed me and said to sue them.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . They don't really have to until you sue them. Then, if they have homeowners insurance, if they expect to have the insurance company pay, the "tender" (give) the defense and indemnification over to the insurace company who then contacts you through the attorney they aassign to the case.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no national database of homeowners policies available to the general public. Mr. Dolon is correct about how you can force the issue on the discovery of the policy.

    If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion... more
  3. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues, there is no way to force them to tell you their insurance information short of filing a lawsuit. You need to talk with a local persona injury attorney to discuss your legal options.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  4. Richard Edmund Hawkins


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Oddly, the homeowners gave you the best advice of all.

    There is no obligation in Nevada to simply tell anyone who wants it your insurance information (with a major exception for traffic accidents).

    Once you sue, the insurance company will hire a lawyer, and your lawyer will initiate discovery, which will reveal not only the insurance company (which really doesn't matter), but the policy limits. And you will be able to get information about the dog's past behavior, and so forth.

  5. Richard S. Johnson


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You will have to sue the homeowner to get the insurance information if they will not provide it voluntarily. If you have any further questions, feel free to call.

    If you would like a free consultation, call me at 702-823-3333. www.naimidilbeck.com
  6. Thomas D. Boley

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . This is an issue where car insurance and homeowner's insurance differ. In a car accident case, the tortfeasor must provide the policy declarations upon the injured party providing one medical bill or record. This is common practice in car accident cases. You are entitled to the identity of a homeowner's insurance company, but you must initiate a lawsuit. There are opinions written by the Discovery Commissioner of the Eighth Judicial District Court that allow for such discovery demands.

    Unfortunately, it is hard to determine the amount of available insurance prior to retrieving the declarations. However, if there is a mortgage on the home, the lender generally requires a substantial homeowner's insurance policy to cover their interests. You are very likely covered. You should get a free consultation from a personal injury attorney. If the injuries are substantial, this is a case that a lawyer would likely take on a contingent fee.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,041 answers this week

3,347 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,041 answers this week

3,347 attorneys answering