Homeowner of dog bite victim won't release homeowners insurance information.

Las Vegas, NV |

I was bit by a dog. The homeowner of the dog is refusing to release who their insurer policy holder is. Is there a law in Nevada or Federal law that forces them to release it or is their policy information in a database somewhere? They cussed me and said to sue them.

1. They don't really have to until you sue them. Then, if they have homeowners insurance, if they expect to have the insurance company pay, the "tender" (give) the defense and indemnification over to the insurace company who then contacts you through the attorney they aassign to the case.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. There is no national database of homeowners policies available to the general public. Mr. Dolon is correct about how you can force the issue on the discovery of the policy.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that someone may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need employ us to perform the due diligence necessary to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the issue spotting, solution proposals, style of communication and analysis I may apply to factual statements.

3. I agree with my colleagues, there is no way to force them to tell you their insurance information short of filing a lawsuit. You need to talk with a local persona injury attorney to discuss your legal options.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

4. I agree with my colleagues. You will have to sue the homeowner to get the insurance information if they will not provide it voluntarily. If you have any further questions, feel free to call.

If you would like a free consultation, call me at 702-823-3333. www.naimidilbeck.com

5. Oddly, the homeowners gave you the best advice of all.

There is no obligation in Nevada to simply tell anyone who wants it your insurance information (with a major exception for traffic accidents).

Once you sue, the insurance company will hire a lawyer, and your lawyer will initiate discovery, which will reveal not only the insurance company (which really doesn't matter), but the policy limits. And you will be able to get information about the dog's past behavior, and so forth.

6. This is an issue where car insurance and homeowner's insurance differ. In a car accident case, the tortfeasor must provide the policy declarations upon the injured party providing one medical bill or record. This is common practice in car accident cases. You are entitled to the identity of a homeowner's insurance company, but you must initiate a lawsuit. There are opinions written by the Discovery Commissioner of the Eighth Judicial District Court that allow for such discovery demands.

Unfortunately, it is hard to determine the amount of available insurance prior to retrieving the declarations. However, if there is a mortgage on the home, the lender generally requires a substantial homeowner's insurance policy to cover their interests. You are very likely covered. You should get a free consultation from a personal injury attorney. If the injuries are substantial, this is a case that a lawyer would likely take on a contingent fee.