Homecare program wont train me because i'm male, can I do something about it?

Brooklyn, NY |

A home care program that trains people for free to become home attendants for elderly folks says they only train women because there is ONLY demand for women by the elderly clients. I know male home attendants so I know this is false, if the client is male, they give him a male worker. This makes me mad because i dont have a job and cant pay for training for this position. I want to sue them because I feel this is discrimination. They are involved with medicare and medicaid so I believe if they do job placement they do it for equal opportunity employers, so this could be illegal.

1. It sounds like there could be something to this. You may want to see an attorney or simply explore an equal oppotunity claim with the appropriate governmental agency. Gender discrimination and federal funding should never go together.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

2. Sex discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of that person’s sex. Sex discrimination also can involve treating someone less favorably because of his or her connection with an organization or group that is generally associated with people of a certain sex. The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment. If you feel that you have been discriminated against on the basis of your gender, you can file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (or EEOC) who will investigate your claim. If you claim is found to be meritorious, the EEOC may award you damages. If you claim is dismissed, then you would have a right to sue in court.
    Sex Discrimination Harassment

Education law topics