Home out of state do I get an exemption in chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Asked almost 2 years ago - White Plains, NY

I own an apartment in Florida free and clear, which I plan to return to when I retire in three years, but right now it is rented out. It is worth about $50,000. I am renting a little apartment near White Plains for the time being. I am thinking of filing bankruptcy. Am I correct that if I file chapter 7 bankruptcy, I can get a homestead exemption for the Florida property because it was my permanent home for many years and I plan to return to it in the future. Thanks for reading this.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, in either state. Since you are not living there currently, it is not a "homestead" under any state's definition. In fact, if you're claiming it as a "homestead" for tax purposes in Florida, you're probably going to have a tax issue since it is misclassified. The fact that you're thinking of moving there in the future is irrelevant. It is a rental property, and it will be treated as such. Both the income stream and the property itself will be assets. You can try to claim it as a homestead, but your trustee will object to that and win.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com.... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would have to file for bankruptcy in Florida to get the Florida homestead exemption.

  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As Michael C. points out, to get an homestead exemption, the property must be your primary residence.

    Based on what you describe, it certainly doesn't sound like it is your primary residence right now. Some states homestead laws are worded to allow the "intent to use has primary residence", but even in those states, if you are 3 years out from moving to the property, that argument is thin. Lastly, the fact that you are renting it now works against you.

    However, don't let that deter you, you obviously have a debt problem. So speak to a bankruptcy attorney to find out what options are realistic for your circumstances.

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a form of bankruptcy where your debts are canceled, but some of your assets are sold to pay off part of your debt.

Stephen M. Dunne

What is Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy wipes out ("discharges") your debts. Chapter 7 is the bankruptcy provision most frequently used by individuals. It involves the complete liquidation of a debtor's... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,740 answers this week

3,716 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,740 answers this week

3,716 attorneys answering