HOA vs. owner dispute: what to do first?

Asked over 2 years ago - Irvine, CA

I had new windows put in last year after going through the approval process with the HOA. Now I get a letter saying they are out of compliance. Should I hire a real estate attorney to help me with this?


Attorney answers (2)

  1. David S Hoffman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Did the approval from the HOA come in writing? Was it from the architectural committee or the board of directors? I would certainly consult with a real estate attorney -- who is familiar with HOA law -- this is a unique and arcane category of real estate law. The attorney will want to see the approval letter; the non-compliance letter; the application(s) you submitted to whatever committee approved the windows, and your CC&R's and ADR policy. So gather those materials, and look for a good HOA attorney in your neck of the woods.

    Good luck.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes. You need to show an attorney the letter regarding non-compliance as well as the documents showing that you went through the approval process last year. Many HOAs have an architecture committee which serves under the board of directors for approval of architectural changes.

    Look for an attorney who is familiar with the Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act and HOA governance in general.

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,934 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,934 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering