HOA LIENS IN LOS ANGELES CA . . . . . WHAT ARE THE RIGHTS OF THE HOME OWNER ? ? ?

Glendale, CA |

The HOA Lien Auction is being held in Stanley mosk courthouse . The lien judgment amount is $ 7575 . 77 . . . Amount to satisfy is ; $ 13 , 515 . 80 e - - - Opening bid for tomorrow Original writ of sale was issued on 03 / 22 / 11 . . . Do the attorneys of the HOA have start a new foreclosure process ? New NOD - New NOS - or does the writ of sale expire because its been more than 1 year from the original writ of sale 03 / 22 / 11 and the original date of sale was 12 / 14 / 11 There is a new sale date tomorrow at 10am . Also , can the lien amount increase ? Meaning ; when they obtained the lean judgment , I owed the HOA $ 7575 . 77 ( in 2011 ) Why did is increase to $ 13 , 515 . 80 ? Sheriff and court fees ? Would the HOA need to sue me again and obtain a new judgment for HOA dues owed after the original lien ?

Respectfully, your issues are much too complicated for this forum especially at this last minute. If your home is being sold at auction tomorrow your options are extremely limited.

You may have the right to postpone the sale for 24 hours which would allow you enough time to obtain competent legal counsel and/or to obtain the funds to satisfy the lien if the HOA will accept them. If you are able to file an emergency petition in bankruptcy the automatic stay should prevent the sale if filed prior to 10:00 a.m.

With respect to your specific issue California Civil Code §2924g(c)(2) provides in pertinent part: “In the event that the sale proceedings are postponed for a period or periods totaling more than 365 days, the scheduling of any further sale proceedings shall be preceded by giving a new notice of sale in the manner prescribed in Section 2924f. New fees incurred for the new notice of sale shall not exceed the amounts specified in Sections 2924c and 2924d, and shall not exceed reasonable costs that are necessary to comply with this paragraph.”

It is unclear from your question whether the requirements of Civil Code §2924g(c)(2) have been satisfied and whether you may have other defenses to the sale.

Bottom line: If you can undo the sale, and you may not be able to even if there are statutory violations if the property is sold to a BFP, it is going to be expensive and cost far more than the amount you presently owe. You need to do what needs to be done to stop the sale tomorrow morning if you want to be assured you can keep your home. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference