HOA is issuing parking permits, how much information can legally be requested from residents and should HOA Board have access to

Asked over 3 years ago - Glendora, CA

each tenant's personal information? I would think license plate, year/make/model is appropriate info but this HOA is requesting VIN, Car ins name, policy #, DL# even for resident guest who are there for a few hours? I don't know the background of HOA Board members and don't feel comfortable giving out personal information esp in this day and age of identity theft and fraud. Can an HOA legally request all this info?

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . I agree that this does seem excessive, and it's not up to your HOA, or appropriate for them to take on enforcement responsibilities for the laws requiring insurance and requiring citizenship for DLs. I suppose it's to help the HOA deal with any insurance claims that arise in the parking area they have control over, and this information is easier to get before there's a problem then after, but I don't think that justifies it.

As for what they can do, you should check your CC&Rs to see what they say. I'm guessing they don't address an operational detail as minute as this, so you may try to politely decine to provide this information that you consider excessive on privacy grounds, and assert that the plate number, year, make, model and color of your car is sufficient ID to get a parking permit.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . The extent of the information sought seems excessive. The HOA can ask for personal information, but the homeowners and their tenants and/or guests do not necessarily have to provide all of the information. There does not appear to be any California law on this issue as it relates to common interest developments (HOAs), such as the Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act.

The question will really come to light if and when the HOA board refuses to issue a parking permit because the applicant refused to provide personal information beyond what is reasonably necessary.