Hiya All Is it possible to hold a B2 and FI visa?

Dekalb, IL |

Hiya All

I currently hold a B2 visa that is valid until 2022. I applied for the tourist visa as I intend to attend my brother's wedding which is scheduled to be held on the 15th of June 2013 in Florida. I was recently offered a place with NIU to pursue a PhD in I/O psychology. I wish to apply for my F1 visa before I fly to the states such that I would have to exit the United States and travel to Dekalb from Florida to join the university. My question is -are they likely to cancel my B2 Visa if i apply for a F1 within the next few weeks?

Any Advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Lebena

P.S. I am currently in India for a short break.

1. Possible and often done, but very unlikely from India.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

2. Probably not. The ISO at NIU should be able to advise you further.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

3. You can't enter the U.S. on more than one visa. You'll need to pick one to use. If your school doesn't start until the fall, then entering on the B is appropriate. If you're starting school this summer, then entering on your F and attending the wedding is fine.

4. If the F-1 visa interview does not go well, CO might cancel B-2 too.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Education law topics