Hit my brother's car and insurance do not want to cover his car because we live in the same house, What can I do?

Rockville, MD |

My brother and I share the same car insurance with state farm, but a few days ago I hit his new car while I was trying to park my SUV in reverse next to my brother's car( his car was already park). I made the claim, since it is my fault, my full cover insurance should cover his car also, but they said because we leave in the same house, they are not gonna cover my brother's car damage. I think this is not fair due to the fact that if I hit someone else car, my insurance will cover it, and I believe this is the case to, because it was not his fault, plus his car just have the liability only, Thank you for all your help

1. You should review your policy to see if it contains the resident’s of the same household exclusion. This is a pretty standard exclusion. If you cannot find it then ask Snake farm for a written explanation of why they are denying the claim.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree, you need to review the policy. Order a certified copy if you do not have one. Review any exclusions in the policy.

3. I concur, review the policy agreement.

Mike Walker

4. I agree with the responding attorneys. You and possibly an attorney should review the policy agreement. I hope you found my answer helpful.