Hit my brother's car and insurance do not want to cover his car because we live in the same house, What can I do?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rockville, MD

My brother and I share the same car insurance with state farm, but a few days ago I hit his new car while I was trying to park my SUV in reverse next to my brother's car( his car was already park). I made the claim, since it is my fault, my full cover insurance should cover his car also, but they said because we leave in the same house, they are not gonna cover my brother's car damage. I think this is not fair due to the fact that if I hit someone else car, my insurance will cover it, and I believe this is the case to, because it was not his fault, plus his car just have the liability only, Thank you for all your help

1. David J. McCormick

9

Answered . You should review your policy to see if it contains the resident’s of the same household exclusion. This is a pretty standard exclusion. If you cannot find it then ask Snake farm for a written explanation of why they are denying the claim.

2. Michael Lynn Walker

Pro

8

Answered . I concur, review the policy agreement.

Mike Walker

3. Kevin Coluccio

7

Answered . I agree, you need to review the policy. Order a certified copy if you do not have one. Review any exclusions in the policy.

4. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the responding attorneys. You and possibly an attorney should review the policy agreement. I hope you found my answer helpful.