Hit in a shopping center parking lot and the driver left the scene. I called the police and they won't help. What can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gun Barrel City, TX

The woman backed into me and caused cosmetic and mechanical damage to my car. There were witnesses that are not know to either party who agreed to be witnesses if I needed them. I got a picture of the licence plate before the woman got away but it was a paper temporary plate. I called 911 and have called the officer many times and he is not calling me back. Friends in law enforcement said the local police are not obligated to do anything because it happened in a shopping complex parking lot not on the street. I called my insurance co. (progressive) even though I have liability only to see if they could look her up and they are also not calling me back. It has been months. Any advice would help. Thank you

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

1

Answered . Report the matter to your own insurance carrier again -- in writing -- and give them all of the identifying information you gathered. Let your company find the driver and hopefully find their carrier.

Good luck!

2. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

3

1

Answered . I would go to a precinct in person, explain your plight and ask them to run the plate for you. If that doesn't work, call your insurance carrier again and ask for the same. If you still haven't gotten anywhere call around to local attorneys, who may have access to driver insurance info. It may take a few calls before you find someone willing to help but be persistent.

Also - in NY I believe you can go on th Dept. of Motor Vehicles website to seek information. Perhaps you will find some info there. Good luck.