Hit by an unlicensed and uninsured motorist, What do I need to do?

Gadsden, AL |

I was rear-ended by an unlicensed, uninsured motorist. I have UM-UIM 25/50 insurance to cover the medical side of the accident, but I have no idea where to start on getting my vehicle repaired or replaced. The person that hit me is not listed as the registered person of the vehicle, but the police report still list the vehicle as uninsured. So, I'm assuming that means the person the vehicle is registered to does not have insurance on it either. If not where do I find out that information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Trying to handle the UM side is a mistake, and you would want to retain a personal injury lawyer to go after that money, as they don't just hand it over to you like candy. The same lawyer can resolve your vehicle issues.

2. Do not assume the officer tried to contact the registered owner to see if he or she had liability coverage. They usually do not do this. Send the owner a letter asking him or her to notify their insurance company of your potential claim. Date the letter and keep a copy for your files. Not necessary to send the letter certified but if you do also send a copy by regular mail. Hopefully the owner will have liability coverage that will pay for your property damage and injuries. I'm including a link to the auto-crash resource center of our web site where you can find more helpful information. Also, I would encourage you to talk with an experienced auto-negligence attorney in your area for further information about your claim. Good luck and I hope and pray you have a favorable recovery from you injuries.

3. Retain a personal injury lawyer who can verify whether or not there was truly no policy. Do not try to handle your UM claim yourself, as you can easily sabotage your good claim. It's never a good idea to play lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

4. Did you have collision coverage? Depending on what you find about the owner, you may have a negligent entrustment claim. Was the other driver under the influence? You should also get his driving record. Finally, you may have more than $25/50 if you have more cars in your household.

No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. Also, by answering this question, said attorney has not been engaged for his services. Such an engagement requires a face-to-face meeting and/or a signed contract for employment agreed to by the firm.

5. You really should get an attorney. If they do not have insurance, your insurance will compensate you just like they did. They will go after the other driver or owner. Your attorney can send them a letter and see if they have insurance.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

6. You need to turn this over to your insurance company. In Alabama it is a law that every vehicle has to have insurance. The other party is reliable for the repairs. You might want to seek the advise of a local car accident attorney to protect your rights.
    Good Luck

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference