Hit by a car while riding my bike, can i pursue compensation if i did not get the license plate?

Asked about 1 year ago - Irwindale, CA

Wednesday while riding my bike i was hit by a car. I was knocked over and was in pain so i did not immediately react. At first i thought i was fine, but went to the doctor to be sure. During the checkup besides a few bruises i felt fine so i went home. Yesterday when at school my head began to hurt, i went to the hospital and i realized i had a Grade 2 concussion. This angers me because i literally cant think and this will affect multiple facets of my life including school. Should i go to the police and try to pursue this driver with limited information such as the color of the car and how it looks?

The car did not stop and kept going. I was able to recall the color and some features of the car.

1. James Michael Bergener

Pro

11

Answered . Yes, report the accident to police as soon as possible. A grade 2 concussion is a serious injury that takes time and rest to heal. You may also have a civil claim against the driver, which means that you can obtain compensation for damage to your bike, for for medical bills, and your pain and suffering. Do you have car insurance? If so, depending on your coverage, you may be able to request compensation for your injuries through your own insurance if the driver is never found.

I highly recommend that you speak to a California personal injury attorney about this accident. Most of us offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose by call. I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Whatever you decide, please report the accident to the police. You don't want the negligent driver to do something like this again.

2. Anthony Allen Roach

9

Answered . If the driver of the car did not stop and exchange information with you, then you need to speak to the police and make a report. This is felony hit and run.

3. Josh P Tolin

10

Answered . Yes. Absolutely go to the police. There may be traffic or other camera's that may have been in the area you were hit that they Police may have access to. Report it to them without delay. You may want to be consider hiring yourself an experienced personal injury attorney, as well. Good luck to you.

Pro

10

Answered . Report it to the police to investigate

5. Michael R Crosner

8

Answered . Report it to the police IMMEDIATELY. Consult a California personal injury attorney ASAP to investigate & handle the matter. Most, like our office, provide a free initial consultation & depending on the facts of the accident, if you do not have adequate health insurance will be able to assist you with obtaining medical care on a lien basis.

6. Frederick Joseph Sette

7

Answered . if you were riding a bike indicates you may not have a car, which means you wouldn't have car insurance. If you do have car insurance you may have uninsured motorists coverage. Ins. Code 11580.2 requires a police report to be filed timely in a hit and run scenario to qualify as an uninsured vehicle.

7. Ian Zimmerman

8

Answered . Yes you can and should. You can provide any and all information to the police and they can perform the check for you. In your area there is most likely a nearby camera which caught something which might be helpful. I would advise calling a local attorney as well.

8. David Ian Schoen

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. Do you have uninsured motorist coverage?

9. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

Answered . If you have uninsured underinsured motorists coverage, you will be covered. I have handled cases like this.

10. Anthony Patrick Radogna

Pro

Answered . I am really sorry to read your troubles. It is always upsetting to me (upsetting towards the car who drove away) when a client walks in my door and describes a situation like yours. Of course do what the other attorneys told you and make the police report asap. However catching this guy is only half of your concern according to how you presented your question. You are obviously concerned about possible future medical bills and how to treat your injuries.

If I was in your exact situation, here is what I would do: First file that police report, the longer you wait on that, the better the chance that they will not find the person who did this. Second, Talk to an attorney about what your rights are and whether you have any insurance coverage that would be able to help you in this particular situation.

I have always been in the opinion that your health is what is most important....so don't wait to long before you get see a doctor for the issues you described. Good luck.