Hit and run without a tag

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I have Geico. $250 deductible on uninsured motorist and comprehensive but $2,000 on collision. Never had an accident or filed a claim. A Geico rep told me that in Atlanta hit and runs take place all the time: in parking lots, even on interstates drivers will bump you and keep going. How do you file a police report if that happens?
Back in October, while I made a sharp turn at a light, the other driver crossed the line and rubbed my left alloy wheel. As soon as I stepped out, he talked me out of it and was in a rush to leave. Had I seen damage, I would of called the police. As I drove off, I noticed mechanical damage. Geico told me they 'just' need a police report but don't have one or the other car's tag #. There was a camera. I don't even know how or where to file a late report.

1. Christopher Matthew Simon

Pro

1

Answered . Georgia law requires hit and run collisions to be reported to the police so geico has a legal defense to the claim. At this late date you are probably screwed. With alloy damage though the bump in premium will cost more than the repair.

Pro

2

Answered . The police may or may not accept a late report, but best bet is to try to report it .

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Jeffrey Allen Childers

Answered . I am not sure whether you will be able to report the accident to the police. Furthermore, even if you did, it is likely that GEICO would not cover the accident because you failed to report the accident in a timely manner.

You best bet would be to go ahead and try to report the accident to the police. If they accept the report, then also report it to your insurance company for coverage under your UM policy.

If the police take the report, and GEICO fails to cover the accident, you then have the option of sueing GEICO for breach of contract. You can do this yourself in Magistrates court or you could hire an Attorney.

Unfortunately, with the small amount of damage, it is likely that no attorney would take your case unless there some sort of bad faith on the part of the insurance company. I don't think that this is shown based on your facts.

4. Alan Joseph Robertson

1

Answered . A lawyer who handles car wrecks in Georgia may be able to help you learn where to go to file a self-reported late report.

5. Stefano Vincenzo D'Agostino

1

Answered . Although I am a bit confused as to when the incident occurred (October?) I suggest immediately contacting an attorney in your jurisdiction to assist you in this matter. Depending on your automobile insurance policy, there may be a notice requirement and/or specific deadline time period in which you must file a claim with the insurance company or put them on notice of said claim. The failure to meet this deadline may result in the insurance company denying your entire claim. There may also be a deadlines you must meet on filing a police report and forwarding same to the proper entities.

Additionally, I would be cautious in speaking to any insurance representatives without first seeking the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction as anything you say can and may be used against you by the insurance company. In my experience in Massachusetts, It is typical for insurance companies to treat the claimant as suspect and typical for insurance company to investigate property damage claims where other operator is unknown to ensure claimant is not filing a fraudulent claim.