Hit and run involving garage. What do I do next?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita, KS

I live in a rental. My garage was involved in a hit and run The car involved was found due to the matching pieces of vehicle left at scene and therefore registered owner. Insurance info was given to my landlord by cops to make a claim. She hasn't. Claims there must be police investigation first. States they must make certain owner of vehicle was driving during accident. However already proven to be the car in question so make claim against the insurance policy for that vehicle or wait to see trial verdict?

Pro

3

Answered . Report it to your homeowner's insurance carrier to resolve.

2. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

2

Answered . There is probably no doubt that the vehicle that was covered by the insurance was invovled in the accident. However, sometimes insurance policies have "exclusions" that apply to certain drivers or its possible that the car was stolen. In these situations, insurance coverage may not apply. That may be why the insurance company wants to determine who was driving. Follow up with the insurance company to get clarification. If there is homeowners insurance on your property, its possible you can make a claim through that insurance in the meantime.