Hit and run in my car, but I wasn't driving and don't know name of person driving, could I be held responsible?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

There are witnesses that saw a different race man driving, I am a white female. I do not know the guys name who was driving my car, and the cops keep asking and I don't know what else to tell them. What can happen to me as registered owner. Can I be arrested because I am owner of car even though I was clearly not driving?

It was NOT theft, I allowed usage of car, But I don't know the name of person and cannot force him to give me info or come forward

1. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

2

Answered . Assuming this is a permissive use situation versus a theft- you are liable for bodily injury of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident and $5,000 property damage. If they can show negligent entrustment you are on the hook for the full damages. Quite frankly not knowing who was driving your car makes no sense - you gave permission to someone

2. Albert Lee Crosner

2

Answered . I would suggest that you contact a criminal defense attorney in Sacramanto right away and discuss this matter very thoroughly with him/her.

3. James Michael Bergener

Pro

2

Answered . If it was permissive use, you would probably still be liable; but im confused... how did you knowingly give authorization to use your vehicle to someone without being aware of who it was? I would contact a defense attorney right away to help you get some clarity in this situation.