Hit and run in my car, but I wasn't driving and don't know name of person driving, could I be held responsible?

Sacramento, CA |

There are witnesses that saw a different race man driving, I am a white female. I do not know the guys name who was driving my car, and the cops keep asking and I don't know what else to tell them. What can happen to me as registered owner. Can I be arrested because I am owner of car even though I was clearly not driving?

It was NOT theft, I allowed usage of car, But I don't know the name of person and cannot force him to give me info or come forward

Assuming this is a permissive use situation versus a theft- you are liable for bodily injury of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident and $5,000 property damage. If they can show negligent entrustment you are on the hook for the full damages. Quite frankly not knowing who was driving your car makes no sense - you gave permission to someone

I would suggest that you contact a criminal defense attorney in Sacramanto right away and discuss this matter very thoroughly with him/her.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

If it was permissive use, you would probably still be liable; but im confused... how did you knowingly give authorization to use your vehicle to someone without being aware of who it was? I would contact a defense attorney right away to help you get some clarity in this situation.

The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. Transmission of information via this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient, nor is it intended to do so. The content provided does not create any warranty, express or implied. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. For more personal injury information visit us at

Recommended articles about Real estate