Skip to main content

Hit and run. It was my vehicle, but I wasn't driving. Not sure what to do.

Bedford, IN |

Last night I was at a local tavern and had had a few drinks. I met this woman and we decided to go down the street to another place. She offered to drive and since I had a few, I let her drive my vehicle. Turns out she was more intoxicated than me and bumped into a parked vehicle while leaving the tavern, and didn't stop. I didn't want to see her go to jail and didn't report the accident either. Once again I wasn't driving, but still feel terrible that my vehicle hit someone elses car. I'm scared that if I report the accident now, there's no way the police will believe that i wasn't driving. In hindsite I should've made her stop and report the accident, but what should I do now? What if the owner of the other vehicle finds out it was my vehicle that hit his/her car? Can I be held liable?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes you can be held liable if they are able to identify your car. If you are asking this question, sounds like it was more than a mere bump to the other car. I would imagine the tavern had security cameras, if they did then the person that was "bumped" can view the video and make a police report and quite possibly identify your car as being the one that bumped into his/hers.

    I am only licensed in Arkansas. No part of this answer should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship.

  2. You normally are required to to leave your name or insurance information when you hit a parked car. You should talk with criminal defense attorney before contacting the police about reporting the crash.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Yes you can be held liable for allowing an intoxicated person drive your car. You should contact an attorney to assist you with the matter.

  4. Always report every accident to the police and to your insurance company, or it will come back to bite you.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics