Hit a skateboarder that was in the middle of the street on the road

Asked over 1 year ago - Lake Forest, CA

I was driving on the road , it was about 6 : 30 it was pretty dark . As I was driving , I saw a skateboarder in front of me in the middle of the street , he was not crossing , he was skateboarding in the middle of the street , on my riverside when I slammed on my brakes and I struck him while I was skidding . Another car saw him in the middle of the street but he was coming the opposite direction . There was at least 8 witnesses . I stopped my vehicle and did not move it at all , called 911 , Police report was taken by sheriff's . He was treated by an ambulance team and was taken to the hospital . Ian very nervous and paranoid , what could be following me next ? I do have insurance and I have already notified them . Should I be expecting a lawsuit ?

1. Madanmohan Singh Ahluwalia

15

1

Answered . Well, first of all, you did the right thing. Accidents do happen so don't worry too much. As long as there is no death, you will be fine.

Whether there will be a lawsuit or not will depend on seriousness of the injuries. and whether claim is settled by insurance adjuster or not.

Injured person has 2 years from the date of injury to file lawsuit.

Most of the times a person first files a claim with the insurance company. Insurance company assigns an adjuster who tries to negotiate a settlement without filing the lawsuit. As long as you have proper insurance coverage, your insurance company will provide you with the legal help you need.

2. George Costas Andriotis

15

1

Answered . You did the right thing and your insurance carrier will defend you if, in fact, a lawsuit is filed.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

11

1

Answered . As already stated, you wisely reported this to your insurance company. Should you get a letter or legal papers from the boy's attorneys, and there is at least a 50-50 chance that you will, simply turn it over to your carrier; who will assign defense counsel to represent you. Good Luck.

4. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

8

1

Answered . You did the right thing by stopping, cooperating with the police, and reporting this to your insurance carrier. Let them handle this from here and don't give any further statements that are not authorized by your insurance representatives. They will assign you an attorney if a lawsuit is filed.

Pro

8

Answered . Let your insurance company and their lawyer resolve this, and don't lose sleep over it.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

4

Answered . Most unfortunately, you should expect a lawsuit. However, as attorney Alluwallia rightfully answered, your insurance company will try to settle this case. You do not have to worry if you have insurance and the plaintiff settles within your insurance limits. Best of luck.

7. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

4

Answered . Let your insurance handle the matter. Most people try to resolve the matter as an insurance claim. If unsuccessful at reaching a resolution then they file suit. Ask your insurer to keep you posted on the status of settlement discussions. If the skateboarder was an adult he will have two years from the date of incident to file against you. If he was a minor he will have two years from his 18th birthday.