Skip to main content

Hiring an Attorney for a dui case ?

Alameda, CA |

I just got a dui case and planning on pleading guilty and get it over with. However, on court day will it make a better impression if I have an experienced dui attorney show up on my behalf ? Will the Judge notice if I have an experienced attorney representing me ? What about at the dmv hearing with the hearing officer, will he notice? I do NOT condone drinking and driving and I made a big mistake and fully understand it, I had a few drinks and felt fine before driving but the breath machine proved me over the legal limit.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


I would never tell anyone I cared about to walk into a courtroom to plead straight up to an alcohol-related driving offense without at least sitting down with DUI defense counsel to discuss the ramifications of such a plea.

Do yourself a favor and talk to someone you find on this AVVO website about the possibilities.

As for the impression a criminal defense attorney makes on a judge, having worked for a judge after law school and as a prosecutor for a number of years, I can tell you that many more attorneys perceive they carry clout than actually do in judge's eyes. No matter, however, as judges do a very good job of separating professional respect from passing proper judgment.

Best of luck to you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


That a computer told you that you were over the legal limit does not mean that you were, any more than a computer telling you that you have 2,000,000,000 in your bank account means the money is there or yours. Drinking and driving may be unwise, but it is not a crime for most people.

You owe it to yourself to talk with a local DUI/DWI attorney about what happened, how much you had to drink, and what your options are.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Field sobriety "tests"

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Wisconsin

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:


Why plea guilty? If you're getting an attorney make him work!

Elliot Zarabi


I don't know anyone that condones drinking and driving, but that is not the issue. People deserved to be treated fairly by the system, and criminal defense attorneys are the primary way that is accomplished. If you would like a free consultation, feel free to contact me.


You would be foolish to plead guilty to a DUI. There are many potential defenses available to you and a conviction will have severe consequences. The best way to protect yourself after a DUI is to contact DMV within ten days of arrest to preserve your right to a hearing and then hire a good DUI attorney. Feel free to contact me to discuss your case.


An "experienced" DUI lawyer probably won't let you simply plead guilty without considering a fight. I won't even let people retain me if all they want to do is leap off the bridge into the conviction pool. A guilty plea with an experienced attorney or a neophyte or pro per simply gets you easily convicted. "Getting it over with" is short-term easy but long-term idiocy: there is no "over with" with DUI - some attributes of it are with you for life.

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Kevin Samuel Sullivan


I have handled a number of DUI cases. Please call me to discuss. Kevin Sullivan 415-44-1052


The chances of getting a better resolution of your case certainly increases with an experienced DUIuattorney representing your case at both the court and dmv levels. I would highly recommend
That you consult with and hire an experienced DUI attorney to represent you on this matter.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer