Hiring an Attorney for a dui case ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Alameda, CA

I just got a dui case and planning on pleading guilty and get it over with. However, on court day will it make a better impression if I have an experienced dui attorney show up on my behalf ? Will the Judge notice if I have an experienced attorney representing me ? What about at the dmv hearing with the hearing officer, will he notice? I do NOT condone drinking and driving and I made a big mistake and fully understand it, I had a few drinks and felt fine before driving but the breath machine proved me over the legal limit.

1. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

15

Answered . That a computer told you that you were over the legal limit does not mean that you were, any more than a computer telling you that you have 2,000,000,000 in your bank account means the money is there or yours. Drinking and driving may be unwise, but it is not a crime for most people.

You owe it to yourself to talk with a local DUI/DWI attorney about what happened, how much you had to drink, and what your options are.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Field sobriety "tests"
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

11

Answered . I would never tell anyone I cared about to walk into a courtroom to plead straight up to an alcohol-related driving offense without at least sitting down with DUI defense counsel to discuss the ramifications of such a plea.

Do yourself a favor and talk to someone you find on this AVVO website about the possibilities.

As for the impression a criminal defense attorney makes on a judge, having worked for a judge after law school and as a prosecutor for a number of years, I can tell you that many more attorneys perceive they carry clout than actually do in judge's eyes. No matter, however, as judges do a very good job of separating professional respect from passing proper judgment.

Best of luck to you.

3. David Jon Pullman

9

Answered . You would be foolish to plead guilty to a DUI. There are many potential defenses available to you and a conviction will have severe consequences. The best way to protect yourself after a DUI is to contact DMV within ten days of arrest to preserve your right to a hearing and then hire a good DUI attorney. Feel free to contact me to discuss your case.

4. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

8

Answered . Why plea guilty? If you're getting an attorney make him work!

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

5. Jared Christian Winter

8

Answered . I don't know anyone that condones drinking and driving, but that is not the issue. People deserved to be treated fairly by the system, and criminal defense attorneys are the primary way that is accomplished. If you would like a free consultation, feel free to contact me.

6. Michael James Kennedy

Pro

5

Answered . An "experienced" DUI lawyer probably won't let you simply plead guilty without considering a fight. I won't even let people retain me if all they want to do is leap off the bridge into the conviction pool. A guilty plea with an experienced attorney or a neophyte or pro per simply gets you easily convicted. "Getting it over with" is short-term easy but long-term idiocy: there is no "over with" with DUI - some attributes of it are with you for life.

7. Philip Daniel Hache

Pro

5

Answered . The chances of getting a better resolution of your case certainly increases with an experienced DUIuattorney representing your case at both the court and dmv levels. I would highly recommend
    That you consult with and hire an experienced DUI attorney to represent you on this matter.