Hiring a technician from hardware store such home depot.

If I hire someone from a hardware store such as Home Depot to do a home improvement work, will this hardware store be responsible for any mistake take place by this technician.

Alexandria, VA -

Victoria Lee Allen

Victoria Lee Allen

Real Estate Attorney - Manakin Sabot, VA

It has been my experience that these contractors are independent from the store. In such a case it is unlikely that Home Depot can be held liable. There should be a contract which lays out the relationship of the contractor.

That said, depending upon specific circumstances, there may be some liability if Home Depot endorses the specific contractor or acts as a general contractor. If addition, if the person is an employee of Home Depot then Home Depot is liable.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

ANY mistake--probably not. Some mistakes--MAYBE. Read the paperwork you signed for provisions about how disputes are handled and what rights you have.