Hired to build website, client appointed secretary to work with me, worked with her, he backed out after website built.

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

Hi Avvo Lawyers,

I was hired to design a website for a businessman. We agreed to a fee, he informed me that his secretary would be working with me-- feedback, content, and to make sure the website "got done right". This conversation would be the last I would have with him up until we had problems.

I presented his secretary with mockups, she liked the one and had me develop it further. She also stated via email "when will the website be complete?". The development of the website was 4 weeks. Upon sending a fully coded website, I received a response that the businessman hated the website and was going to hire someone else.

I sent him an invoice and he mailed me a letter saying he owes me nothing because he didn't approve of anything. Is blame on the secretary? Am I entitled to payment?

I have emails to support that 1) the businessman appointed the secretary to work with me 2) all communication with secretary was done via email

1. Matthew Erik Johnson

4

1

Answered . You likely have a claim for the reasonable value of the hours you spent on the website if you wish to pursue this.

From a business standpoint, I would highly highly recommend working with an attorney from now on to develop contract(s) for you that will handle these issues up front. Business attorneys are designed to create contracts that both parties understand and to lay out deals clearly. Obviously some are better than others, so look around for someone you like.

2. Steven John Clausen

Pro

1

Answered . A perfect example of why you need an attorney to develop a contract for your business. You need to hire an attorney who can send demand letter for payment. One way or the other, an attorney should be able to help you get paid for this project.