HIPAA patient violation by Federal Employee

Philadelphia, PA |

I had an apppointment at a Veterans Administration Hospital. I was issued medication. I picked it up, and the pharmacy clerk knew my condition ... he had reviewed my medical record, which I didn't pick up at the time, but realized later. After work, he showed up at my house to 'offer me a prayer' for my condition. My boyfriend, who works there, complained to the administration, the HR department 'investigated' and did not fire him, however he no longer works there. I assume he quit. I never heard back from them.

Should I hire a lawyer and sue them for their lack of follow through on this case? I want to complain somehow, this was completely innapropriate. I didn't receive and apology or reassurance that whis will not happen gain! At this point, I wonder if he's going to show up at my door! He can go on to another hospital and do this to someone else!

Thank you for your time.

If the alleged HIPPA violator is now gone from the employ of the Veterans Administration Hospital, I doubt that your proposed suit would get very far in federal court.