HI there, what is my success rate for asylum ?

San Bernardino, CA |

I'm currently present in California on 2 visa valid till may / 31 / 2013 , Egyptian moderate Moslem's , married and have one daughter 3 years old . i need the asylum to USA because what i saw and see now in the news in Egypt is very unstable situation besides too much violence that I'm afraid of my wife and my kid . i just want to know if it's possible to do the asylum or no and if yes then what is the success rate ? i really don't want to go back there with all these bad and strict Islam brotherhood ruling the country , pebble are suffering , police and the army are killing and torturing pebble . I'm so sad for what Egypt is in now . well i just need an advice . thanks and best regards

The political situation is bad, but unless you have a "well-founded fear of persecution", your application will be denied.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Under U.S. law, asylum may be granted to aliens who can establish they have well-founded fear of persecution if they were forced to return to country of citizenship or last habitual residence. The persecution must be on account of political opinion, race, religion, nationality, or membership in a particular social group. Typically, general conditions of unrest in a country are insufficient.

The answer depends upon many factors. It would depend upon whether you have been harmed in the past, nature of your claim, have evidence to support your claim, etc. I would strongly encourage you to meet with an experienced immigration attorney and discuss your claim in detail. A knowledgeable immigration attorney who understands how to properly prepare, file, and present an asylum claim can significantly increase an individual’s chances of being granted asylum status by the U.S. Government. We have a very successful track record of assisting countless clients obtain asylum in the U.S.

Success depends on the level of preparation and the presentation of the facts in order to meet the legal standards. As this is critical to your families unity and safety, I do recommend retaining counsel who will do everything in their power to preserve your right to remain in the U.S.