Hi so I got a ticket for misuse of handicap sign heres the details.....

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Ok I pulled up to a regular meeter space and had my handicap dad and his caregiver in the car then put up the sign and my dad and the cargiver went for a walk while I got my hair cut....well waiting for my styliest I noticed this guy next to my car so I aproched the guy and ask him why u next my car is there a problem..he said who owns the handicap sign I said my dad he said where is he I said hes walking around with the car giver while I get my hair cut...then he said call the cargiver I told him she has no cell he said open my car and then he took the handicap sign and said I misused the sign I dont believe I did my dad and the caregiver were going to meet me back at the car in 20 min. so they didnt have to wait in the car..I asked the undercover to wait like 20 min and they would be ba

1. Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

5

1

Answered . Your dad's placard has a number assigned to it. He should be carrying some paperwork from the DMV identifying him as the owner of the placard. His number will be on there. The DMV will replace the placard for him. Tell the DMV to invalidate the number on the stolen placard - well, maybe they'll do that without being told how to do their job.

You might also want to make a police report. I'm guessing the police will tell you to file your [dad's] report online. Will your placard be returned? Probably not. But it will alert the police that this clown is skulking around that area conning disabled people out of their placards. Who knows what else he was up to?

If you really want to stir things up, the SF Mayor's Office has a Disability Rights kind of advocate. They intercede with police sometimes. [I did this about a year ago and it was soul-satisfying to get a letter from the station chief promising that his cops wouldn't park illegally anymore.] The Mayor's Office might be able to pressure the PD into adding more police in that area or being on the lookout for this kind of activity.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

4

Answered . There is no such thing as undercover parking cops. Sounds like you got ripped off.

3. Robert Laurens Driessen

4

Answered . None of this sounds like this was a real police officer.

Robert Driessen

4. Mohammad Ali Salimi

1

Answered . If you were issued a citation for the misuse of the placard, you will want to go to trial and plead not guilty in front of the judge. Bring your father and his caregiver to support your testimony.

You ask if the tickets are "valid?" If they were issued by a law enforcement agency, yes they are "valid" but you may not actually be guilty of their alleged charges. While it would behoove you to retain private counsel because you will have a couple of court appearances, you can try and represent yourself.

This is NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists.