Hi so I got a ticket for misuse of handicap sign heres the details.....

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Ok I pulled up to a regular meeter space and had my handicap dad and his caregiver in the car then put up the sign and my dad and the cargiver went for a walk while I got my hair cut....well waiting for my styliest I noticed this guy next to my car so I aproched the guy and ask him why u next my car is there a problem..he said who owns the handicap sign I said my dad he said where is he I said hes walking around with the car giver while I get my hair cut...then he said call the cargiver I told him she has no cell he said open my car and then he took the handicap sign and said I misused the sign I dont believe I did my dad and the caregiver were going to meet me back at the car in 20 min. so they didnt have to wait in the car..I asked the undercover to wait like 20 min and they would be ba

There is no such thing as undercover parking cops. Sounds like you got ripped off.

While they gave me 2 tickets and showed me their badge

So my question is do u think my ticket is valid?

None of this sounds like this was a real police officer.

Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

Your dad's placard has a number assigned to it. He should be carrying some paperwork from the DMV identifying him as the owner of the placard. His number will be on there. The DMV will replace the placard for him. Tell the DMV to invalidate the number on the stolen placard - well, maybe they'll do that without being told how to do their job.

You might also want to make a police report. I'm guessing the police will tell you to file your [dad's] report online. Will your placard be returned? Probably not. But it will alert the police that this clown is skulking around that area conning disabled people out of their placards. Who knows what else he was up to?

If you really want to stir things up, the SF Mayor's Office has a Disability Rights kind of advocate. They intercede with police sometimes. [I did this about a year ago and it was soul-satisfying to get a letter from the station chief promising that his cops wouldn't park illegally anymore.] The Mayor's Office might be able to pressure the PD into adding more police in that area or being on the lookout for this kind of activity.

Not sure if this was a scam but they did show me their badges and gave me 2 tickets

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Well if it is as you say the people don't really know the placard law. I have had placards on 3 occasions and do not like people who park in disabled spots, etc. But the placard is attached to the person, not the car. Make sure from now on that if you're driving your dad have a photocopy of his paperwork in the glove box of your car. But I have a real problem with these "cops" (or whatever) taking the placard without checking it out and running a DMV check first.

If you were issued a citation for the misuse of the placard, you will want to go to trial and plead not guilty in front of the judge. Bring your father and his caregiver to support your testimony.

You ask if the tickets are "valid?" If they were issued by a law enforcement agency, yes they are "valid" but you may not actually be guilty of their alleged charges. While it would behoove you to retain private counsel because you will have a couple of court appearances, you can try and represent yourself.

This is NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists.