Skip to main content

Hi my son is 17 years old he is diagnosed with PDD,ASD autistic disorder .he was denied for special ed my son is been expelled

Waterbury, CT |

I ask the school for a ppt meeting because 2 weeks ago my son had a verbal altercation with this boy that was bullying my son for several month the school called the police my son because of his autism he doesn't like to be touch the police arrest him .charges were drop after I explain his situation .I request a ppt today and he was denied for special education.he was suspended for 10 day and facing an expulsion.without an IEP I can request a manifestation hearing .what should I do .I don't understand why he getting expelled if abuse weapons or drugs was involve he snap verbally because he cant handle it nomore..thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am not a school attorney, however I have represented kids who had education rights issues. The school doesn't want to spend the time or money it will take to make reasonable accommodations for your son. However under the Americans With Disabilities Act they have to.

Call Greater Hartford Legal Aid at (860) 541-5000. This is a pro-bono organization and they have great advocates. If you don't qualify for their services they may be able to refer you to someone who you can afford.


You have a right to a manifestation hearing. Call the CT Education department and file a complaint against the school district. You should also get a school attorney as soon as possible. You can find one here on Avvo by going to the find an attorney tab.
Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer