Hi my son has this bio father last name,I would like to change it???

Asked over 4 years ago - Bowie, MD

My son has his bio father last name, I would like to change it for a number of reasons, first is I am married now and i have other children with my husband now and we all have the same last name excepted my son, also his bio father was very abusive to me and i don't want him to get invovled because i don't want him to know where I live now, Is there anything that I can do???

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carlos Mariano Lastra


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You may file a Petition for Name Change. The Petition must be served on the child's father consistent with Maryland rules and the father may file an Objection to the name change. After the requisite time period, the Court may then have a hearing on your Petition or rule on the papers. At the hearing you can present the reasons for the name change. In your Petition you will have to request the Court to keep your address secret from the father of your son and have a good basis to do so - prior abuse, domestic violence should suffice.

  2. Okiemute C Whiteru

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You can file a petition to have your child's name changed at the Prince George's County Circuit Court.

    Legal Disclaimer: The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Mr. Whiteru advises the questioner to contact an attorney in his or her state and obtain more detailed counseling regarding their legal issue.

    Okie C. Whiteru
    P: 202 558 6196

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,138 answers this week

2,824 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,138 answers this week

2,824 attorneys answering