Hi my question is how long does a complaint stay on your record?

Asked about 3 years ago - Portland, OR

there was no conviction, trial or any thing to that nature someone simply filled a complaint how long till it is dropped?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Troy Austin Pickard

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . By "complaint," I am assuming that you mean someone contacted the police and made a complaint about you, but to your knowledge nothing else has been done.

    If this is what you mean, then the "complaint" is not "on your record." However, depending on what the complaint was about, the government may be able to accuse you of a crime months or even years after it supposedly happened - it depends on how long the statute of limitations is for the particular crime involved.

  2. Robert Glenn Crow


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . A little more information is important here. Were charges ever filed and then dropped or did nothing happen in court? This is an important distinction as far as whether it is something eligible to be expunged. You should contact an attorney and explore further what has happened and what your options are.

  3. Nicholas A Heydenrych

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Criminal complaints are tracked using a variety of public and private databases. The public databases include the statewide court computer system, the Oregon Judicial Information Network (OJIN), the Law Enforcement Database System (LEDS), and local police databases. Private databases include systems run by private detective firms such as Pinkerton or Intellius.

    Arrests and complaints generally will remain in OJIN and LEDS until you petition to remove them. Typically there is a one year waiting period from the date of arrest. For local police databases it is common for such records to expire within their systems after about 5 years.

    There is no statutory right to order private databases to clean up their records regarding you, so it is possible, albeit unlikely, that your case may remain visible to private agencies. You should consult with an attorney to determine if it is possible to remove records of your arrest and complaint from the public databases.

    This post is offered as general information and is not intended as legal advice. This information does not in of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,532 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,532 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering