Skip to main content

Hi my name is shirley and my son lives in south carolina and where he lives has mold he has become sick his girlfriend and do

Oswego, NY |

my son lives in south carolina dont know how to go about to get his lease to broke and to get reburst for the months he has been living there he has mold in his apartment and making them really sick he tried everything he is going to school down there is it fair for them to let them live there he dont have the money to move how can we get his money back plz some one help i know i dont speak well on here

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I suggest that you re-post your question on the South Carolina Avvo page.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. What happens in SC stays in SC. You should post your question in the SC section of this website so that an attorney licensed in SC can answer. Good luck!

    I'm just 3 "helpful" answers away from a free toaster-oven! I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.

  3. Dear Shirley:

    Your son surely could have found out about his rights as a South Carolina tenant but as long as you made the inquiry, you could pass this link along to him:

    No matter where he lives in the USA he is not forced to remain in a house that makes him ill. He could or should have informed a local code enforcement officer or health department. In South Carolina (unlike in NY) he had the right to make a proper repair himself and deduct from the rent (by following certain rules). Depending where he lives he may have access to free legal services.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics