Hi my mother died and my sister was toatly left out of the will

in the will it states he full name and says she is left out for reasons of her own she appeard at court with a lawyer they said they wanted to medical records than a week later my lawyer called me and said they wanted half of everything the house and bank account then they called him back and said they were just intersted in the bank account and she told her lawyer there was 300k in it which is way off he lawyer said he wanted bank statements going back 3 years and also canceled checks from my mothers account and also told my lawyer that i would half to explain her spending habits does this sound right?

Buffalo, NY -

Attorney Answers (5)

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Bellmore, NY

It appears they want to challenge your mother's capacity to enter into a will. Your lawyer needs review all medical records, and to immediately get statements from the attorney that drafted the will, and all of the witnesses, so that he can advise you as to their likelihood of success. You need to discuss the law with your attorney.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore,... more
Sarah Faith White

Sarah Faith White

Estate Planning Attorney - Marietta, GA

You attorney would be the best person to answer this question. In many states adult children can be disinherited from receiving anything under a Will. Unless your sister is trying to claim that the Will was executed while your mother did not have the testamentary capacity (mental ability) to execute a Will, I don't understand why they think they have a claim on the estate. I hope your attorney is able to explain this to your satisfaction. Good luck!

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Probate Attorney - Livonia, MI

It sounds like a messy and complicated situation. Your summary is somewhat confusing, but it seems clear that you have your own lawyer that you should be addressing your questions to. Lawyers are subject to a code of ethics that does not allow us to provide legal advice if you are already represented by an attorney. You should look to your lawyer to assist you with this matter.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
Joseph Allen Bollhofer

Joseph Allen Bollhofer

Probate Attorney - Saint James, NY

There is a specific process in court when a 'distributee' (disinherited next
of kin) challenges the validity of a will. Either that person will be
successful, in which case he or she is entitled to a share of the estate, or
not, in which case he or she gets nothing. You really need an estate
administration attorney's help.

Joseph A. Bollhofer, Esq.

Joseph A. Bollhofer, P.C.

291 Lake Ave.

St. James, NY 11780


fax (631)584-2304



Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly

IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax
advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed
to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be
deemed to have been created.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no... more
Nancy Robin Stone

Nancy Robin Stone

Probate Attorney - New York, NY

Based upon what you have written, it sounds like your sister has either filed objections to the Will, or, more likely, is trying to determine whether to file objections. In New York, a "distributee" (person who is next-of-kin to the deceased) can ask for documents and information regarding the deceased and her state of mind, etc., before deciding whether or not to file objections to the Will. The information requested can go back 3 years before the date of the Will and 2 years after. Also, your sister can offer to settle in return for not contesting the Will. I don't know what the will says, but assuming the two of you are the only distributees, then asking for "half of everything" does not sound like much of a settlement offer, because that is what she would get if there was no Will. Whoever the executor is may want to negotiate a much smaller settlement, or not settle at all. If you asked your attorney these questions and did not understand the answers, don't be shy about asking again until you fully understand what is going on. Best of luck!

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.