Hi mi Susan if the law is 31 days after we move for them to send a bill for damages my question is what if we get it after they

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mcminnville, OR

OK I just would like to know what do we do if we get a bill for damages after the 31 days cause its been over 60 days

1. Jay Bodzin

4

Answered . I believe that this question was already asked and answered in this thread: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/hello-im-susa...

You shouldn't post your name, or any other identifying information, here. It could be found by the other side and traced back to you. The internet is not nearly as anonymous as people sometimes think.

Please read the following notice:

2. Troy Austin Pickard

3

Answered . There's a difference between getting a security deposit accounting, and a bill for damages.

Say you move out on the last day of your lease - your landlord has 31 days to send you back your deposit, or an accounting of what happened to it.

But regardless of what happens with the deposit, the landlord could wait several months and then suddenly send you a bill for damage to the home. In fact, the typical statute of limitations in Oregon for landlord-tenant cases is one year. So, it is possible that up to a year after you move out, your landlord could come after you looking for money.

Portland Defender
    1001 Southwest 5th Avenue
    Suite 1100
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 592-0606

3. Kevin Coluccio

1

Answered . Mr. Bodzin's answer - he is correct.

4. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague. I'll also add: by not complying with the law your landlord may have forfeited his legal right to withhold any of your security deposit. You need to check the previously posted statute to be certain.