Hi mi Susan if the law is 31 days after we move for them to send a bill for damages my question is what if we get it after they

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mcminnville, OR

OK I just would like to know what do we do if we get a bill for damages after the 31 days cause its been over 60 days

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I believe that this question was already asked and answered in this thread: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/hello-im-susa...

    You shouldn't post your name, or any other identifying information, here. It could be found by the other side and traced back to you. The internet is not nearly as anonymous as people sometimes think.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  2. Troy Austin Pickard

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There's a difference between getting a security deposit accounting, and a bill for damages.

    Say you move out on the last day of your lease - your landlord has 31 days to send you back your deposit, or an accounting of what happened to it.

    But regardless of what happens with the deposit, the landlord could wait several months and then suddenly send you a bill for damage to the home. In fact, the typical statute of limitations in Oregon for landlord-tenant cases is one year. So, it is possible that up to a year after you move out, your landlord could come after you looking for money.

    Portland Defender
    1001 Southwest 5th Avenue
    Suite 1100
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 592-0606

  3. Kevin Coluccio

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Mr. Bodzin's answer - he is correct.

  4. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. I'll also add: by not complying with the law your landlord may have forfeited his legal right to withhold any of your security deposit. You need to check the previously posted statute to be certain.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,890 answers this week

2,949 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,890 answers this week

2,949 attorneys answering